Saturday, April 19, 2008

My first earthquake

Can I just say W O W! I've visited California several times and never experienced an earthquake. But I moved to Wisconsin and here I get to experience all kinds of new weather. Is an earthquake in the weather category? I really have no idea. But I could feel the Illinois earthquake that happened yesterday here at my home in Sturtevant, Wisconsin.

Here's how it happened at my house: it was the wee hours of the morning Friday and as usual I was disgusted with Mike and his snoring when he took it to an all new level. At 3:49 am I had enough and finally went to the other bedroom. I struggled with falling asleep for the thirty minutes or so and then blissfully began intermittently dozing and dreaming. Sometime after 4:30 am I woke to my bed just barely shaking - I thought it was Mike checking to see if I was awake and I tried to ignore him, but finally I said aloud - to nobody - "stop it!". Then I raised my head and realized there was nobody there. So I got up and went into my bedroom and there was Mike snoring away. I went back to bed wondering if I had a case of vertigo or what, but soon fell back to sleep. Later Friday morning - around 10 am I was driving to a friends house and was listening to the radio in my car and they were interviewing people about the earthquake, but I didn't catch where or when. Only when I got to my friend's house did I learn there was an actual earthquake in Illinois that registered a magnitude of 5.2 and could be felt hundreds of miles away. I don't know why I think this is cool, but I did feel it - it wasn't vertigo and it wasn't a dream and it wasn't Mike shakin my world.

0 comments: